Saturday, September 19, 2009

Restaurant Review: Le Bec-Fin

Mr. B and I went here on Wednesday for Restaurant Week. We took the train into the city and it was a quick walk to Le Bec-Fin. We made the reservation on Open Table, which I highly recommend.

As soon as we got in the door, the hostesses were very nice and took us right to our table. The restaurant was pretty empty at 5:45. Everything about Le Bec-Fin screams posh and don't-you-dare-spill-a-thing. The carpet was super plush and there were waitstaff everywhere you looked.

On to the food...I had a 'flight' of sparkling wine and a red and Mr. B just had the red. The sparkling was really good and the red was decent. For the first course, I ordered the Forrest Mushroom Ravioli with Ivory Sauce and Mr. B had the Burgundy Snail Cassolet with Hazelnut Champagne Butter. Mine was decent; the ravioli was really thin and a tad bit mushy and overcooked. The inside of the ravioli didn't really taste like much, but the variety of mushrooms underneath were delicious! Mr. B's snails were much better and made me wish I had gotten them. I'd definitely get them again over the raviolis.

Between courses, we were refilled on bread several times and the waiters were very quick about removing plates. For the second course, I had the Seared Diver Scallop with Beluga Lentil Salad, Saffron Grapefruit Vinaigrette and Mr. B had the Olive Oil Poached Salmon with Toasted Cous Cous, Red Wine Emulsion. My scallops were cooked to perfection and they were huge--the biggest scallops I've ever seen. The grapefruit vinaigrette added just enough acid to the dish and the lentils really helped to balance the flavors. Mr. B's salmon was just ok. I wasn't impressed, but he loved it. I thought that it tasted kind of bland.

For dessert, we both had Le Bec-Fin's signature Gateau Le Bec Fin. It's a super dark chocolate cake with chocolate ganache filling. It was topped with a super tart and yummy raspberry sorbet. All in all, it was a great dinner and we can't wait to go back. We've already planned to celebrate our next promotion there :)

No comments: