Sunday, August 9, 2009

Remodeling Updates

Friday I decided to paint the kitchen with a free pint of paint i got from Glidden when they were having their promotion. I painted a 2x2 patch in the kitchen and really had doubts, but Mr. B said that it would look good. I proceeded to paint for the next 3 hours, moving the fridge, stove and climbing all over the countertops to pain above the cabinets.

After I finished I got this sinking feeling in my stomach once I looked at the final product. HIDEOUS! Absolutely dreadful. I should have known that it would turn out the same as what the previous owners painted the living room.

I thought, well maybe it's because I'm not used to it and I need to let it grow on me. 2 hours later I was convinced I would hate it forever and that Mr. B would hate it too. He got back from class and the first thing he asks me is if I like it...bad sign. This means that he hates it but is feeling me out to see if I like it.

We both start laughing because it's so hideous and we know that we could never like it. Plan B--I pick out a color that goes with the rest of the decor in the dining room and living room. The next day I woke up bright and early, went to Home Depot with my color and found a great new invention--pint-sized paint cans that have primer mixed in. YES!!! This is exactly what I need, being that it's a super small space with hideous electric yellow paint wall to wall.


I ride home from Home Depot joyfully with my new paint color, paint a little patch against the yellow and declare war against the evil paint. I spent another 3+ hours yesterday annihilating the yellow and replacing it with a peaceful green. It's close to my bathroom color, but a little darker with some brown hints to match with the living room and dining room neutrals.

I absolutely love it and I wish this would have been the first color I picked. We are not yellow people. Oh well, you live and you learn. I'll post pictures of the better color soon.

A little tip to future painters: If you paint a patch of color and don't love it, please don't paint the whole room! Go with your gut. If you hate it, you hate it; just get a different color.

No comments: